On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 09:20:44PM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> One of Stallman's points against commercial software is that it forces
> programmers to reinvent the wheel, but the GPL is really no different
> in that regard.  I have been forced time and time again to
> reimpliment GPL'd software simply because it's license is not usable
> to me in the commercial environment that I am in.  I don't have that
> problem with BSDL'd software.  It's not about whether I open source
> what I'm doing or not, right now today what I'm working on gets open
> sourced, but I have the option to close the source if I need to.  The
> GPL, and software based upon it takes away that choice.

Oh, come on.  That is like complaining that the courts are taking
away your freedom to shoot thy neighbor.  Or that the shopkeeper
is demanding money _after_ you placed merchandise in your pocket.

You _give up_ the choice of closing the source when you _distribute_
code derived from or using code licensed under the GPL.  Nobody is
coming in from the street and taking anything from you.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163