On 10/11/07, David Alanis <canito at dalan.us> wrote:

> So, funny enough (I guess) he got the weekly reports for one of our
> only  main application - our virus scanner. He went on to talk about
> how he can't afford this, how we can't afford that.... All this
> bureaucratic non sense. I made the disclaimer before I opened my big
> mouth why don't we simply introduce open source! "brilliant idea award
> of the year should go to - me".... Yes, the response that we got was
> and who is going to have time to manage/set-up/ and maintain such thing?

Upper management isn't always the easiest thing to deal with, but
usually you can talk to them in dollars.

Probably the easiest way to introduce open source is to inventory what
applications/functions you currently have.  Pick one, and look for
good open source alternatives.  Make sure that EVERY need is covered
by your open source suggestion.

Then try to figure out what that application/function is costing the
company.  Then figure out what the open source alternative would cost
(don't forget support!).  If there exists an open source alternative
that costs less and delivers the same functions and support, you have
a case.  Make a pretty report and show the boss exactly how much money
per day/year/month can be saved.

If that doesn't get through to the boss, you can try again with
another application.  It's up to you how far to push the issue.  If
your boss thinks he knows everything, and he thinks you know nothing,
you might be at a lost cause.

Good luck on the efforts!

-Brian