A daily script that running 'shutdown -h 2' (or any number of minutes
you want) should do the trick. In most cases, it will give you a message
in your GUI but it will definitely give you a warning in console. A
simple 'shutdown -a' from root will cancel it when you get the message.
Maybe not the absolute easiest solution but it's simple enough to
implement in a minute or two.