> That is exactly what I attempted to do, but it complained about
> tcp_wrappers, and tcp_wrappers complained about other dependencies, etc...
>
> It was the Fedora 7 sendmail srpm I was using.

You're in a bit of a corner here.  CentOS/RHEL is designed not to have the
cutting-edge software and instead is centered on version stability, like
all enterprise distributions are.  Virtually anything you do to bolt on
the newer sendmail will send you into version-dependency hell (see last
sentence for why) or be done outside the package management system and
will be overwritten when CentOS/RHEL updates sendmail and potentially
cause other runtime problems.

Definitely don't try what ESR did and try to fight rpm (--force --nodeps)
- I guarantee it will win :)

Dave Carlson <thecubic at thecubic.net>