On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 01:08:33AM -0500, Steve Siegfried wrote:
> > More than a year ago I purchased a used HP Laserjet 5MP with a low
> > page count (15k).  I connected it to my Debian server, configured it
> > in Cups and all was well.  It wasn't a speed daemon, but it printed
> > a page every other minute if it wasn't too loaded.  I have upgraded
> > the memory to the max (24MB) and that speed it up a bit.
> >
> > Lately, the printer slowed down drastically, the new rhythm is one
> > page every 15-20 minutes!  These are PDFs, with some small graphics,
> > nothing out of the ordinary.
> >
> > I moved the printer from my Debian server to my Ubuntu workstation.  I
> > then moved it to a Windows laptop.  It is all the same.
> >
> > When I spool something, it starts blinking the data port and it just
> > sits there.  Maybe when the moons align just so, it spits out a page.
> >
> > Has anybody seen this problem?  Does anybody know how to fix it?
> > Should I just take it to the curb and let the trash truck run it over?
>
> I bought my 5MP new about 12 years ago and it's been rock solid.
> However I did later upgrade the memory to 22MB and added a duplexer.

I installed the memory a week after purchasing the printer, and it
worked at decent speed since, until about a month ago.

> I've never noticed any change in output rate when I changed from the
> old LPR to the newer CUPS.

It must have been either a kernel upgrade or a cups "upgrade".  There
is a lot of churn in the Debian testing cups packages.

> Given how old some of these printers are getting, I'd suggest re-seating
> the printer's network card and all of the memory sims.  I'd also
> suggest plugging it back into your network using a new network cable
> and a different slot on your router/hub.  If you're using the printer
> directly connected instead of on a network, try a different printer cable
> (or better yet, if it has a network card, use that instead).

No network card.  The same cable works fine from Windows.

> If that doesn't fix the problem, then using the buttons on the top,
> get into the "TEST MENU" (via the "Menu" button) and from there (via the
> "Item" button) into:
> 	"PRINT SELF TEST"
> 	"PRINT LJ5 DEMO"
> 	"PRINT PS CONFIG"
> 	"PRINT LJ5M DEMO"
> 	"CONT SELF TEST"

My printer does not have a screen.  The self-testpages (overview +
postscript) do print quickly.

> Once you get the output from these self tests, pay special attention to
> the "Self Test / Configuration" and "Menu Map" output.  If you've added
> memory (and you have), you'll might need to adjust how it's used in the
> MEM CONFIG MENU (but read the manual carefully before moving away from
> "AUTO" settings here).
>
> In the "Menu Map" output (from the SELF TEST) you probably want:
> 	Menu Map -> MEM CONFIG MENU:
> 			I/O BUFFER    = AUTO
> 			RESRCSAVE     = AUTO
> 	         -> PARALLEL MENU:
> 			HIGH SPEED   = YES
> 			ADV FNCTNS   = ON
> 	         -> SERIAL MENU:
> 			PACING       = DTR/DSR
> 			BAUD RATE    = 9600   (yeah... 9600, sheesh!)
> 			DTR POLARITY = HI
> 	         -> POSTSCRIPT MENU:
> 			PTR PS ERRS  = OFF
> 			JAM RECOVER  = OFF
>
> I can scan and email the "Self Test / Configuration" and "Menu Map"
> output I get if you're still having problems (or can't find/don't have
> the manual).

I do have the service manual.

> 56160 pages and counting'idly,

16014 here.  It's brand new ;)

Thanks,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163