Thanks for all the tips.  The freezer trick didn't do it for me ... but, I
am going to perhaps try the controller trick and then give it up for now.

But, the inevitable followup to a hd crash.  I had backed up all important
data on dvds 3 months back, some of my code is on svn and cvs repositories,
and email is on an email server ... but, i nevertheless lost some work
related docs and some code ... say about 20-40 hours of work in recreating
those.

I also had dumbly(?) used my laptop as a cron-scheduled rsync-based backup
system for data on a web service (about 15 gb).  Now, I need to think of
other setups.  I am thinking of using amazon s3 for backing up my server
data ... Any thoughts on amazon s3 and/or alternatives folks here might have
experience with?  Data of the order of 10s of gigabytes and growing over
time at the rate of maybe 1 gb a month.

I am thinking of getting a home desktop system and I could use a rsync
technique for keeping copies of my laptop and desktop in sync ... Yet, it
seems you would have to burn DVDs every once in a while because there is
always the risk of one or the other 'backup' systems packing up.  Or is it
better to simply get a back up hard drive solely for the purpose of backup
and not use it for anything else, in stead of (or in addition to) a desktop?

Do people have thoughts on backup strategies -- I suppose this depends on
risk appetites as well as how critical the data is -- but what is a typical
(not overkill) backup strategy that people adopt when you have a combination
of email, code, design docs, personal photos + music, and web service data?

Feel free to direct me to an appropriate web site or other forums.

Thanks,
Subbu.