On 10/2/07, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 02:17:59PM -0500, Jonathan Osborne wrote:
> > Looks like an interesting product, but it's gotten some very mixed
> > reviews on amazon:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRVS4400N-Wireless-N-Gigabit-Security/dp/B000H97UC0
>
> Hrm... it looks quite bad.  Also, from reading the user manual, it seems
> that it does not have the strict separation between wired and wireless
> networks.

for what you want to do you need a real router, not some garbage
consumer product. So find yourself a small case, mobo and some GigE
network cards that fit in there.

There are several wireless chipsets out there that support master
mode, get a card with one of those chipsets. (i prefer the hostap
hards, but they only support 802.11b)

i myself have a system with 4 network cards, 3 wired and a wireless,
works great for me, does all i need and then some, is it ugly? yes but
it is ugly in some corner where not even my girlfriend can complain
about it. sitting there quietly (for the most part, the K6 has a
tendency to overheat and beep at me every once in a while) passing
bits back and force.

It does have very strict separation between the network cards, but
when i want or need to i can let the wireless network ssh to a box on
the dmz. or if i need a public address when bittorrenting i can give
one of those to my laptop on my wireless network. No port forwarding
here!

very flexible, very cheap, very linux.

ps, we have not had a meeting in a while, i've been thinking of giving
a presentation on iptables, anyone interested?