On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:24:13AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Florin Iucha wrote:
>
>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe1
>>
>> Why not get the 7.10 release?  http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/7.10/
>>
>>> Looks like it's 2.6.22-6.13 (2.6.22-rc3-based), so I guess I'd be OK
>>> running that on any of the hardware you've tried?
>>
>> Ubuntu 7.10 kernel is based on 2.6.22.
>

> I'm not sure I understand your point.

My point is that you don't use 'testing', or 'alpha' releases unless
you really know what you are doing.

>                                       The web page I sent the URL for was
> saying what the kernel would be in 7.10, right?

Not necessarily;  read your own next statement.

>                                                 It was about an alpha
> release of 7.10.

Not everything that is in an alpha will be in the final.

>                   The web page you sent doesn't say anything about the
> kernel version.

It does not.  My message did tell you what you needed to know: that
7.10 includes a 2.6.22-based kernel and it gave you a download site
that is probably a mile away from your office.

>                  I was assuming that the kernel in the final release was at
> least as advanced as the one in the alpha release.

Not necessarily.  There purpose of an alpha, beta, etc. is to evaluate
the stability of a collection of software.  If the kernel had major
problems that were not solved before the release, it is possible they
would have rolled back the version, because Ubuntu has time-based
releases.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163