Not to steal thunder (or parts!) from either of you guys, but thought I'd
mention that there's a group of us still interested in getting a Twin Cities
branch of Free Geek up & running, so that we can do essentially what you're
doing (refurbishing old machines, loading free OSes on them, and getting
them out to people who couldn't otherwise afford them) -- right now, we're
affiliated with Open Circuit, so you can check out their website (
http://tcopencircuit.org) or e-mail list (

As for your problem of imaging identical machines, you might try partimage:

Or, if you're really adventurous, look up TCLUG's "Ghetto Ghost" thread from
way-back-when. ;)

Cheers,
Brian D.