Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I know this is a bit off topic...
>
> Our support organization is trying to create a problem determination
> guide for our product.  What I mean is a "scripted" flow chart that
> they run through to try and isolate (or even fix) a customer's
> problem.  The biggest issue I see with this is that as a product
> changes over it's lifetime, the contents of this guide will change.
> In addition, we'll want this to be developed by the support personal
> as they gain experience with the product, finding new diagnostic
> procedures and tools.
>
> This is likely something built on a hierarchical database with a bunch
> of questions like, does this work? Does that error occur?  Is there
> this message in a log?
>
> Anyone seen this?  Any suggestions.
I think I know what you're talking about.  Years ago, I was looking at
using such a product.  But that was years ago -- as I remember it ran in
DOS and came on 5 1/4 floppies!  I'm sure the concept is still around,
and has certainly improved since then.  I don't recall the name of that
program (if I can find an old box of disks I'll see if I kept a demo),
but I think there was a "K" in the initials.  The keyword to look for is
"knowledge base" -- a little more precise than data base.

Kraig