Announcements get posted here often, and all info is on Brian's web site at
http://www.penguinsunbound.org/

I'm not really involved, except as an interested participant.  Don't know
how much official support Brian has, but Linux is far more vital to TIES
mission than to the mission of UMN, so the priority should be very clear and
very high to give simple support.

Very easy to get to: corner of Snelling and Larpenteur.  Free and lotsa free
parking.  Many great places for food and beer nearby.  Rosedale and Har Mar
mall are close by, and Snuffy's and Keys are close by on Larpenteur.

Really great "big pipe" internet wired and WiFi connections, since that's
what TIES is all about.  TIES provides internet and other online support for
MN schools and teachers.   Large and multiple meeting spaces,
well-equipped - probably since they do some training for teachers also.

> You don't like the U because they have canceled meeting reservations.  I
> get it, and that is a worry.  It is also bad for parking when compared to
> many other spaces.

If the U doesn't (or does) "own" something, you can't count on any support
or continuity or input.  I tried for 5 or more years as VP of a real
professional group and rep of a major corporation to build relationships
with UMIT (even offering big ticket funding) and it was a hopeless effort.
They are a political organization with their own agenda, and other
documented, certified, funded, and academic-like interests simply cannot
have a place on their ranking list.  TCLUG is not documented, certified,
funded, or academic.  The UM situation has improved a little in the last 5
or so years, but not enough to matter for this.   More than that, I think
(ie, I learned... ie, BTDT) it's just the wrong venue, AND I don't like
going there because of the congestion, etc.

Would be very different in some other states' universities, but that is
irrelevant here.  For example, some major universities require that graduate
faculty develop and sustain funded collaborations with industry as one of 4
parts of retaining tenure (4: teach, publish, lead research, and do).
Publish usually means co-publish frequently with colleagues in industry.
Not really true here, but changing.

Chuck