Looks like everyone is giving good advice.  I use a Palm z22 with Ubuntu,
and when you get it configured correctly, it does work well.  This is not a
smartphone, just a regular PDA, but I did want to mention that it took lots
of research with google and ubuntu forums to get linux to see it.  It all
boiled down to one setting that was a little unique.  So if after you get
your new phone, you have troubles getting Ubuntu to detect it, let me know
and I'll type up the directions on what I did to connect it.

Otherwise... Linux works great with Palm.  I recommend JPilot over the
built-in Gnome software, but that is more personal preference on how I like
to use it.  And JPilot offers backup and restore capabilities, sotware
installation, etc. all in the same app.

Good luck!