Joshua Radke wrote:
> Ok ... after some more googling, it looks this this may not be
> suitable.  As far as I can tell, the only video format supported would
> be theora.  You could always do something like:
>
> ffmpeg2theora original.mov -o new.ogg
>
> for each stream you want to send, but this would also require your users
> to have .ogg players.  Sorry for the wild goose chase!

Please note that Theora has the advantage of being an open format!
I mention this because Raymond originally asked for an "open
source" solution.

And anyone with the Java Plug-In installed can take advantage
of the "Cortado applet" viewer:
  http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/

Realize too that the VLC player (theora capable) is available on
all platforms:
  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

There is also a Theora plug-in for Quicktime:
   http://xiph.org/quicktime/

Example streaming content can be found here:
  http://ystv.york.ac.uk/watch/live.php

Example (downloadable) ogg files can be found here:
  http://stream.fluendo.com/archive/6uadec/vilanova.html

HTH,

--Tom