> Given the short life of Fedora releases (FC5 will be deprecated
> without security updates at the end of June) and the bad luck I've had
> upgrading from one fedora version to another,

I'm getting ready for another upgrade cycle.  Over time, I have found a
configuration that I like.  However, each time I upgrade or switch distros,
everything starts from scratch, and it usually takes me a month to migrate
all my data, install the applications, and configure everything.

Before I begin next time, I would like to capture data about my configuration.
Then, I would like to give this file to the installer as a recipe for how I
would like the box to work (or as a separate step after installation).   Are
there any good tools for this?

I have most of my data on a separate drive, which helps.  But what tools are
available to record package lists and configurations?

Jeremy