On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 07:16:02AM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Has anyone run into this?  I edit my crontab with crontab -e, make some
> changes in vim and then save the file and exit and crontab tells me no
> changes were made.  crontab -l shows that no changes were made.  If I
> use xemacs, it works.  If I specify crontab <filename>, the new crontab
> is installed as well.  Anyone have any ideas?

Are you using vim or gvim?  Does it start up in GUI mode?  If so, you
need to set "EDITOR=gvim -f" to have gvim start "in foreground" mode.

By default, gvim forks a separate process, to allow you the use of the
terminal.  The shell or the crontab editor process consider the
termination of the initial gvim process as an indication that the
editor itself terminated.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163