First of all, thank you all for your responses and feedback.

I should clarify a bit here.  What I am most concerned with, is the internet
connection piece, rather than the ISP piece.

For myself, I am running Quest DSL with the external router they lease, and
have IPHouse as my ISP - I had been on Goldengate before that merged with
IPHouse. IPHouse is great, and I have also had a very good experience with
Quest. Quest has been very stable, and they have dealt with problems
promptly and well. IPHouse has been completely problem free.

So I know DSL is an option, and apparently Cable connections can be used
with Linux also. I know a lot of internet connection offers bundle in the
ISP and the Windows software as part of the package, so I was asking about
connection options where you don't need to take the Windows part of the
package, and have hardware that Linux can talk to.

For now I am suggesting my daughter consider DSL with IPHouse as preferred
option.

Thanks,

Charlie