???  Your comment is a non-sequitur, and I said nothing at all about
panaceas or absence of proprietary differences.  I only said that
different carriers use fibers, not that all security layers were
identical.  My comment about both phone companies and cable companies
using fiber, and planning to-the-house fiber connections is like saying
"most TCLUGers can drive cars".  You previously stated that cable
service and DSL service would not use fiber media, and that seemed kinda
naive to me.

Your comment is technically off-base.  The fiber media is standard
(though there are several types, like several types of coax).  The
carrier and modulation schemes in the fibers are probably standard as
well (different standards most likely), just like T1, etc, of the phone
system no matter what media it is transported in.  At some point the
protocols and encryptions would become proprietary but can be
media-independent.

This digression had little significance for the municipal wireless
issues, and you made no comment for my concern on the likely impact of
municipal wireless on free hotspots.  I think the municipal wireless
will require geographicly specific subscriptions like Chaska does, and
that would become a severe restriction to individual roaming freedom.
If that is the case, then I think municipal wireless is a very, very bad
thing.

Chuck