From: "Charlie O" <obelin23 at gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> I know this has come up before, but I tried searching the TCLUG site email
> list and can't get it to respond.
>
> My daughter wants to set up with a cable or DSL service that is Linux
> friendly - I set up her new machine to dual boot Mepis 6.5 and WindowsXP,
> and she wants to make Linux the main internet environment.
>
> So, I am asking for suggestions for providers. I have Quest DSL and am
> having good luck with it so I know that is an option. Are there cable
> companies that are good to work with? Or, are there wireless providers you
> like.
>
> My apologies for bringing this topic up again. Thanks in advance for your
> help.
>
> Charlie

I have been using a Linux firewall on Comcast cable for over 5 years now with no problems. I had to briefly hook a Windows machine up when I dumped their cable modem and put my own into place to "register" the cable modem with them.

Do your daughter a favor and have her invest in either a dedicated Linux firewall (Smoothwall or IPCop to name a few) or one of the consumer broadband firewalls (Linksys or Netgear). I would not depend on the Windows firewall to protect a computer.
--
Todd Young