On Tuesday 01 May 2007 1:04:00 pm Eric Peterson wrote:
> I just moved from Minnetonka to Brooklyn Park. In the process I
> transferred my cable internet. After dealing with Comcast on the phone
> I looked for alternatives, but unfortunately it looks like Sprint is
> the only other provider of DSL/Cable in the area. So I'm still with
> Comcast (feel free to make recommendations).
>
> I was able to get my connection working with my Linux laptop just
> fine, but when I connect the Linksys which is running OpenWRT it never
> gets an IP.
>
> Any ideas? I'm thinking Comcast is somehow blocking my Linksys, but I
> that's just speculation.
>
> My old connection was Time Warner until Comcast took over.

I know that the dd-WRT firmware has an option to turn off spanning-tree
protocol (STP) for use on a comcast internet connection.  It seems that
comcast blocks the port you are on if they detect STP.  I am not sure if
OpenWRT has the same option, but that is my guess.

--
Bret Baptist
Senior Network Administrator
bbaptist at iexposure.com
Internet Exposure, Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com
(612)676-1946 x17

Providing Internet Services since 1995
Web Development ~ Search Engine Marketing ~ Web Analytics
Network Security ~ On Demand Tech Support ~ E-Mail Marketing