> On 3/27/07, Bob Hartmann <bob.hartmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Debian.
>> I'm not getting email from the list, btw.  I can see my posts on the
>> archive, tho, so I appreciate your help here.
>
> You're using gmail, which doesn't handle mailing list replies
> particularly well.  Make sure to hit "reply-to-all" to make sure your
> emails get sent out to the whole list, not just the person who replied
> to your message.
>
> Anyway - I don't use debian, but I believe you can run:
>
> $ apt-get update
> $ apt-get install tzdata
>
> That should do it...no reboot required :-)
>
> -erik

NTP does not affect timezone settings.

To determine if your timezone data is current (at least with regards to
the US DST change) you can run
zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007

if you see Sun Apr 1 then you know you have old data
if you see Sun Mar 11 then you are current

This is a little shell script I wrote to ease updating many servers of
mixed distros. It worked on redhat 7.3, rhel3, suse 9.2, suse 9.3 and
openbsd (except localtime is a symlink).
It assumes you're running as root.

wget ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2007c.tar.gz
mkdir tzdata
mv tzdata2007c.tar.gz tzdata
cd tzdata
mkdir zoneinfo.bak
ls -ld /etc/localtime
sleep 3s
# look to make sure localtime is not a symlink
ls -ld /etc/localtime > zoneinfo.bak/localtime.zdump.txt
zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007 >> zoneinfo.bak/localtime.zdump.txt
cp /etc/localtime /root/tzdata/zoneinfo.bak/
cd /usr/share/
tar czvf /root/tzdata/zoneinfo.bak/zoneinfo.tar.gz zoneinfo/
cd /root/tzdata
tar zxvf tzdata2007c.tar.gz
zic -d zoneinfo northamerica
cd zoneinfo/
cp -rf * /usr/share/zoneinfo
cp -f CST6CDT /etc/localtime
zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007

Most server processes that care about time will check the localtime when
they start and never check again during their life. You can just restart
services but I prefer to reboot after you get patched to make sure all
running processes notice the change.

Java and things that depend on Java (eg recent versions of Cold Fusion)
maintain their own timezone settings so they have OS independence. Sun has
a great and simple tzupdate.jar file for patching all java executables. It
worked great for me as well.