It sounds like he knows what is eating up the CPU (httpd) so top would
be kind of useless.  You could try using a couple of tools such as lsof
or strace (one of my favorite), as well as look through your apache logs
to see what is being accessed.  This all might give you a clue to what
is causing the problem.  Also, if the load is due to a high IO wait,
then this may hint to a hardware issue.

Another thing you could try, see if you can downgrade the version of
apache installed.  Perhaps the high load is caused by a bug (its
happened to me before).

Andy