Scott Raun <sraun at fireopal.org>  wrote:
> Text mode
> preferably a Debian Stable package
> talks NNTP, as opposed to requiring a local news spool
>
> Threading would be nice.
>
> What would you recommend, and why?

Gnus Network User Services
http://gnus.org/

"Gnus is a message-reading laboratory. It will let you look at just
about anything as if it were a newsgroup.  You can read mail with it,
you can browse directories with it, you can ftp with it -- you can
even read news with it!"

This is an emacs mode that is probably one of the most powerful and
versatile message readers of all time. ;-)  I don't use it, because
I'm cursed with vi-fingers, though I'm working on changing that.
(Emacs in viper mode for editing).  In any case, it does NNTP, IMAP,
and understands most (all?) of your local mailbox formats.
--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/