Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:33:20PM -0600, Bob Hartmann wrote:
>> Do processors typically include a cooling unit when you order from newegg?
>
> Almost(*) all "retail" processors include coolers and come with 3 year
> warranty.
>
> Almost(*) all "OEM" processors do not include coolers and come with 30
> days to 1 year warranty.
>
> Besides labeling, Newegg usually shows the picture of a boxed CPU for
> retail and a bare CPU top for OEM.
>
> florin
>
> (*) I never encountered a counterexample but one cannot be sure.

For your counter-example...

Some socket F (1207) opterons come in a retail box WITHOUT the HSF, but
the boxes are marked as such.  This is for people that are going to toss
the stock fan anyway such as when using the processor in a 1U or 2U
rackmount where the stock fan will not work well or at all.

-Dean