I telecommute twice a week from home to my office, through VPN.  With my
laptop, I find that if I'm wired into my home network, I have zero issues.
When I am using my wireless, after about 6 hours or so I notice a big
slowdown, and I have to disconnect/reconnect, and all is back to normal.
This leads me to believe the internet connection is fine, maybe it's a
hardware/driver issue, or memory?  Obviously your situation sounds more
severe than this, and I just live with the "bug" I have.

 - Joey