Dan,

I have used what is called NX to serve my desktop around my house and to my office (off site).  I haven't run it for maybe 8 months now, but last I used it, it worked really well.  The idea was, and probably still is, you get the free client from these German fellows: http://freenx.berlios.de/download.php.  And the server, you get from NOMachine: http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1.  And between the two, you have a free, lightweight server of desktop and it, in my experience, is far from bloated.   Since I haven't used it in a number of months, you may want to pull up NX, nomachine, or free nx in your favorite search engine. It's worth a look.

Damien

----- Original Message ----
From: John Reese <jwreese0 at comcast.net>
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2007 8:05:24 PM
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Terminal server in Linux?

Interesting topic.

Check out the Skolelinux project. There's a write-up at the Free
Software -Europe site:

http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/education/tgs/tagatschool8.en.html

Notes on Skolelinux I stole from a different site:
Distribution (CDD) in development. It is aiming to provide an
out-of-the-box localised environment tailored for schools and
universities. The out-of-the-box environment comes with 75 applications
aimed at schools, as well as 15 network services pre-configured for a
school environment. The simple, three-question installation requires
minimal technical knowledge. Skolelinux is Debian, which means, among
other things, that there are no license costs or worries, and that
upgrade and maintenance of the software can be done over the Internet
with the power of Debian's apt-get. The core goals of Skolelinux are
localisation and ease of system administration.

Not technical enough? Check out the FreeNX -> Nomachine project. Looks
way cool. This is pretty exciting stuff
.
FreeNX write-up:
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/02/09/freenx.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301&ATT=Powerful+Remote+X+Displays+with+