On 2/28/07, Nate Carlson <tclug at natecarlson.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Dave Sherman wrote:
> > The T1 cards with hardware echo cancellation were a lifesaver for us,
> > not sure if any other manufacturers are producing a card with that
> > feature.
>
> I know Sangoma also makes one. They also do a lot more in hardware (ie -
> the price tag skyrockets).

I'll have to look into those -- any idea how they compare with Digium,
in "bang for the buck"?

> > Can't say much about the FXO/FXS cards from Digium, besides the fact
> > that they work as expected. We have used them for testing, but do not
> > have any in a production server.
>
> Avoid the FXO/FXS cards whenever possible.  :)

Yeah, in our environment, the only place we would use them is for
integration with an older PBX -- which is exactly what we were
testing. We are unable to add a 2nd T1 card to the PBX, so we used a
CO card and connected it to the FXO ports on the Digium card.

> My advice would be to get digital trunks (BRI's or PRI's), and if you need
> FXS ports (for fax machines, door phones, etc), get a channel bank to
> split a T1 into multiple analog lines. If you can't get digital lines, you
> can get channel banks that will let you configure (for example) 16 ports
> as FXO and 8 ports as FXS - so you could plug 16 analog phone lines into
> it, and 8 analog extensions.

If Eric is already spending $300/month or more on 8 analog lines, a
BRI line could be very cost-effective, making this is a good
suggestion.

> > The biggest challenge we've had is with faxing. We ended up bringing in
> > dedicated analog lines from Qwest for our faxes at one installation, but
> > faxes at the other installation are running off Sipura (now Linksys)
> > SIP-to-analog converter boxes, and they seem to work fine -- but they
> > also use the faxes less than the folks who got analog lines.
>
> Have you tried the fax support for Asterisk (or OpenPBX)? I've heard good
> things about it; haven't ever tried it, though.

We tried it (using the latest version of asterisk compiled from
source), but to be honest, hit a wall when Asterisk would core dump
every time a fax came in. Since we were under a bit of time pressure
(to put it mildly), we went the "easy route" and just got a couple of
analog lines from Qwest.

This is something we definitely want to investigate in the near
future, though, since it would save us a bit of cash, and add some
nice functionality to the system. Every DID can become an instant "fax
machine", effectively giving each office user their own personal fax.

> > I do seem to recall reading that having more than one card in a single
> > server can lead to performance issues, because the telephony interface
> > cards tend to generate so many interrupts on the system bus, and they
> > need to run in real time -- if you have too many cards, it will start to
> > show in performance rather quickly.
>
> The Sangoma cards solve this - the cards don't generate a pile of
> interrupts.

Good to know. They must keep a lot of processing in the card itself,
rather than sending it to the CPU, right? Otherwise I can't see how
this would work.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSA, MCSE, CCNA