Donovan Niesen wrote:
> I do a significant amount of work in with HTML, CSS and PHP/MySQL.
> Most of my time is spent inside Dreamweaver on my Windows partition.
> While Dreamweaver has been good to me, I would like to see what others
> are using on a daily basis in Linux.  Is there anything with some of
> the handier features in Dreamweaver (uploading pages to remote/testing
> sites, MySQL integration)?

Here's my $0.02...

First off, lets start with the browser.  I use firefox with the
following extensions:
Web Developer
Tamper Data (mess with headers and such)
SwitchProxy Tool (more on this below...)
NoScript (good for testing, as well as browsing the net)
HackBar (sql injection testing, with encode/decode functions for urls)
DOM Inspector (nice tree view of the html structure, could use any dom
validator, I just like this one)
Add N Edit Cookies (kill sessions, and edit other cookie values)

Then for supporting my browser, I have two proxy servers installed, thus
the need for the SwitchProxy toolbar.
tinyproxy (light weight and easy to use, good for logging redirects)
webscarab (pause http(s) trafic, modify form/query values on the fly,
replay requests, and more, I highly recommend this)

Then for the actual development tools:
ssh (obvious..)
screen (obvious...)
cvs/svn (if your project doesn't use it, then keep a local repository.
the freedom to edit what you want, knowing that if you screw something
up royally you still have clean copies/versions in the repository is
well worth it)
vim (add the cvscommand and set up some aliased commands with your
F-keys and Shift_F-keys.  I also like the cvscommand plugin as a
developer because it is easy to modify.  I keep a personal user.vim
plugin, based off cvscommand, that gives me access to vim's buffers
using my own console commands and shell scripts.  e.g. ':SQL select *
from publications' will put the results of the sql statement in a new
buffer and vertically split the screen with the new buffer on the right,
allowing me to copy/replace/edit as I see fit)

And last but not least, the environment:
I personally use fluxbox for my WM, mainly because I use gimp for image
editing, and the tabbed window feature of fluxbox works wonders with the
gimp, but the WM is more of a personal preference.

bash/perl/sed/awk/find/grep - learn these well.  A lot of developers
I've worked with have neglected these, especially their shell, thinking
that their editor should be their main concern and tool.  Knowing these
can help you automate tasks, and not just with scripts, or aliases.
Being able to update multiple servers using ssh/scp and sed/perl inside
for loops can be a real time saver.

Well, thats my development environment.  Not exactly integrated, but
I've yet to see one that is that can do as much.

Chris Frederick