On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, gramlich wrote:

> Another question along these lines. What's the difference between 32-bit
> assembly and 64-bit assembly for x86? Are the 64-bit instructions a
> superset or are there other changes I should be aware of?

Well, the main difference is that registers now are 64 bits wide, instead
of just 32 bits wide.  There are also 8 new registers, plus a couple of
new addressing modes (to allow you to manipulate 32-bit data in 64-bit
more), and some other minor details.  But AMD's 64-bit extension is about
as unobtrusive as you could have hoped for.

At the level you're at, there isn't much of a difference.  The ideas are
still the same.

Brian