Haven't done much recently, but have done a bunch on various types of
processors.

Best way to learn is to look through open source examples to see how various
groups do supportable code or systems work, etc.  If you are trying to learn
PC coding, I think it's best to mostly ignore other processor types that are
very different because their coding approaches will be different also at
system compatibility levels.

While one must go to "reference manuals" for the exact syntax, etc, one may
only learn spagetti code that way and may not use a form or style that fits
with operating system contexts.  Some/most environments set up register
usage conventions so that calls can pass parameters in a standard way.
Knowing tricks like that can save needing to do cumbersome "workaround code"
to interface interrupts, etc.  The result will be more lean and bug-free.

Find something like utilities or applications you like and spruce them up as
a learning exercise.

Chuck