On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, gramlich wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience programming in Assembly?

Yes.

> If so,
> do you have a favorite book that you've used to learn the language in
> intel pentium processors?

I learned it from the Intel manuals, and reading the output of gcc, but
this was back in the days of the 386sx, and I'd had an assembly language
class back in college.

If you want to learn assembly language in general, kudos to you- and I
recommend starting with the 68K, or maybe the PPC.  A nice, simple,
regular instruction set, and not the bloated chaotic beast which is the
x86.  Note that assembly language is, effectively, assembly language- if
what you want is an understanding of what the computer is doing at the
lowest levels, and how it's doing it, knowing just about any assembly
language is sufficient (and necessary, IMHO).  The main operations of the
x86 are no different than that of the 68K or PPC.  And those architectures
are a lot easier to understand.  And, if you have the time, the x86 is a
lot easier to understand once you understand those simpler architectures.

If it's the x86 specifically you need, i.e. you're going to be doing some
serious x86 hacking, you want the intel books- although they're probably
not the books you want to learn from.  I haven't read any of the recent
crop of "learn assembly language of the x86" books, so I can't advise you
there.  Sorry.

Brian