On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Sidney Cammeresi wrote:

>> IBM hasn't been stopped as far as I can see.  In fact, they still sell
>
> Are you serious?  How many IBM computers are in your organisation?

We recently got rid of the IBM SP supercomputer that ran AIX.  We have a
Netfinity cluster, Power4 and now we have a BladeCenter:

http://www.msi.umn.edu/

I don't work at MSI but I use their computers all the time.

>> mainframes.  They were first to develop a widely-adopted desktop
>> computer design.  They are currently big Linux advocates.  I don't
>> think IBM was ever as dominant in computing as Microsoft has been in
>> desktop OS software
>
> `Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM'?

Maybe you read the NY Times article about IBM's continuing mainframe
business.  That surprised me too.

That's all I'm saying - these giants die very slowly.  Microsoft has 90%
of the desktop OS market worldwide.  People say they are dying, but how
long will it take to get them down to 10% of the world market?  If a
company has 10% of the desktops in the world, I sure wouldn't call them
dead.  I hope that I live another 50 years, but I think Microsoft is very
likely to outlive me.

Mike