On 1/30/07, Nate Carlson <tclug at natecarlson.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> > You're sure you were comparing exactly the same system?  Because I was
> > just shopping for a D820 about two days ago and they came out to exactly
> > the same price with and without windows.  The one big difference seemed
> > to be that not all of the same options were available depending on
> > whether you were looking at the with-windows or without-windows options
> > (for instance, without-windows seemed to offer me more choices of
> > processor speed on the higher end and less choice on the bottom end...
> > Don't ask me why...)
>
> Yeah, they were identical. They had a pile of promo's that only were only
> applied to the Windows laptop.

Interesting.  When I was shopping there was a "Instant $350 rebate on
lattitude notebooks priced above 1499" (which is valid til tomorrow I
believe).  And I added identical with-windows and without-windows
notebooks to my cart (since the rebate is only taken off when added to
the cart), and the with-windows notebook had a $259 rebate applied in
the cart and the without-windows one had a $350 rebate applied in the
cart.  So the without-windows one came out cheaper only because the
full $350 rebate was applied.  Without the rebate, they would have
been exactly the same price.

--
jonner