On 1/30/07, tclug at natecarlson.com <tclug at natecarlson.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> > One other option: you can get a notebook from dell without windows as
> > well (it comes with freeDOS but I don't know if it's even installed or
> > not).  I believe they only offer this with the 'lattitude' series
> > through the "small business" store, and they're not necessarily any
> > cheaper than the ones that come with windows, but at least you can let
> > them know that you have no need for windows.
> >
> > http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
>
> I just picked up a Latitude D820.. it ended up being $600 cheaper to buy
> it with Windows than without.

You're sure you were comparing exactly the same system?  Because I was
just shopping for a D820 about two days ago and they came out to
exactly the same price with and without windows.  The one big
difference seemed to be that not all of the same options were
available depending on whether you were looking at the with-windows or
without-windows options (for instance, without-windows seemed to offer
me more choices of processor speed on the higher end and less choice
on the bottom end...  Don't ask me why...)

--
jonner