On 1/25/07, swede <danyberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:55:49 -0600
> > From: "Charlie O" < obelin23 at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [tclug-list] transferring videocassettes to DVD with Linux
> > To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> >
> > I want to set up my machine, to be able to transfer the videocassettes
> > we
> > have on to DVD.
> >
> > I know I need a DVD-RW, and Linux should be able to handle that.
> >
> > My question is, what kind(s) of video card with video input will work
> > with
> > Linux?
> >
> > And 2 side questions
> > - how much memory do I need to be able to do this?
> > - is there anything else I need?
> >
> > A video card that works with Windows2000 would also do, but I'd just as
> > soon
> > use Linux.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Charlie
> > ------------------------------
>

> The only reason I keep an XP partition on this computer is for capturing
> video with my ATI AIW Radeon 7500.  I understand some people have gotten
> this card to work properly with linux, I'm not one of them.  Though I was
> mostly trying to get the TV tuner working using GATOS
> http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ .  The card works great in Windows, but only
> fair in linux.  But it's also many years old now.
>
> Dave

This is something that linux can very easily handle.  It seems a bit of a
mis-managmeent of resources to run a windows computer specificly for a task
that can be completed easily and with better quality results in Linux.

http://www.pchdtv.com/
$130 for the 5500 card.
When you're done ripping VHS tapes, you can use the card for a HDTV mythtv
box.