In the past years
I have used ATI All-in-Wonder (AIW) cards for this purpose. In the past few
years though they have made ViVo (Video In/Video Out) standard on most
cards, so you do not necessarily require a AIW/TV Tuner card. I have never
had much luck with seperate cards, like the ones from Pinnacle, doing this.
Right now I have a AIW that I use as a DVR to record stuff, but that is
usally lower quality as it is meant to view on my laptop.

Memory has not been the bottleneck as much as disk speed.
Ideally you would want a 10/15k SCSI, but that is not practical for most
people. In that case at least a 7200 SATA. As CPUs get faster, obviously
that meant more data could be processed, but it all gets negated once you
hit the slower hard drives. Years back I had no problem CPU wise capturing
higher quality video, but the drives just could not keep up and it would end

up either failing or the video would skip. Since most of what I wanted was
of no real value I ended up just using Windows Media Encoder to do WMV which

was fine for my needs. Capturing tapes on the other hand you may want a
higher quality though.

As for memory, most applications of course we use memory for the buffer, so
ideally the more the better. Again it all depends on how you do this. Some
programs that allow you to adjust the buffer will obviously benefit from
more memory. On the other hand many programs out there are just so basic
that it really does not matter.

Ideally what Rick has
suggested is one of the best methods. Let the dedicated device to all the
processing. Then you can transfer the files to a computer and edit them into

DVD movie format to your liking. I do not know what Linux offerings there
are, but I do know that the latest versions of Nero for Windows offers a
really good program for making your own DVDs. My wife brought back a bunch
of home movies in VCD format that I was easily able to transfer to DVD using

this method. Using Nero's Vision program it will automatically make the
menu's and everything for you. You can even capture using this program, but
again it is an issue of drive speed=performance.

I would suggest taking a look at www.digital-digest.com and their forums.
They have quite a few FAQs and links that could answer any questions
regarding software, CODECs, formats, etc.

Sean Waite