This explains it. I was taking a linux test and it said:

What do you need if you want 512MB of swap space?

- A 512MB free partition (or 512MB free space on an existing filesystem)
- 4 free partitions with ....
- ....

I clicked A without even reading the rest as it seemed obvivious and got it
wrong. Must have been really out of date as I started using Linux in the
late versions of 2.2 and that was a LONG time ago...

Brock