On 1/19/07, Mikhail Skobov <russianhippie666 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i already have learned python and this is mostly a hobby but i also use it
> in high school we had an intro to computer science class and then there's
> c++ and java classes that i will be taking
>

> On 1/19/07, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:58:37PM -0600, Mikhail Skobov wrote:
> > > Hi, do any of you guys know any C++ books for beginners because i was
> > > thinking about starting to learn the language but don't know where to
> start,
> > > thanks.
> >
> > Do you know any other programming languages?  Why do you want to learn
> > C++ for?  If you are a beginner, you might want to start with
> > something more gentle, like Python.
> >
> > Back in the day, Stanley Lippman's C++ Primer was a good start.
> > Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" 3rd edition is also
> > fairly good.

I learned C++ on my own from Ivor Horton's Beginning C++.  I can't
really say that it was a great book, but I guess it was good enough to
give me a start.  There are probably much probably better ones.
But I didn't really learn C++ until i started working on open-source
projects.  So if you really want to learn I'd highly recommend getting
involved with a project of some sort after you pick up the basics.

Also, there's a free C++ book available online here:
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
I can't vouch for its quality, as I've never read it, but it might be
worth checking out.
--
jonner