There is a known problem with some older (SATA 1.5) controllers and the newer (SATA 3) WD spread sprectrum drives.  You have to strap the HD to disable the spread spectrum in order for the drives to be seen by the BIOS.  Sounds a lot like what you were having.  Not sure why the old drives no longer work.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=UPAiJ1si&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTEmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDMmcF9jYXRzPTE4MyZwX3B2PTEuMjAzJnBfY3Y9MS4xODMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote: On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:42:07PM -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Just a quick followup - I'm guessing part of my problem is that the
> new drives are 3 Gbps and my mobo controller is only 1.5 Gbps -
> doesn't explain why I cannot connect the old 1.5 Gbps drive unless
> when I put the new ones on it hosed it?

The SATA 1, 1.5 and 2 are backwards and forwards compatible: the
controller and drives should be able to negotiate the common ground.

Microcenter has PCI SATA controllers for $20-25;  this might be an
easy way to test the drives.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163