Sean Waite wrote:

> I have been
> calling around to different services without luck so far trying to get a
> decent DSL for my home. The catch is I need a static IP. So far the
> mainstream companies like Qwest only offer this with their Business
> services, which can not be installed at a residence. I remember years back
> this was not the case, but since I have used cable for my residence for so
> long I am somewhat behind the times. Is it still possible to get a decent
> DSL service with static IP? The reason I need static is I am looking to host
>
> my own e-mail and web, which not only requires just a static IP but a PTR
> record as well. I had thought that my present Comcast could do this since
> they really do not chance the IP address, but they are not going to do a PTR
>
> record for you. Any help on what I can do would be much appreciated
>
> Sean Waite

Actually, you don't need a static IP to run an email or http server.
There are dynamic DNS servers out there that let you send/receive
email as "sean at Waite.org" (or whatever) and host a web server at
your domain, too.  Google "Dynamic DNS service" (with the quotes)
for a list of suppliers.

I'm using www.tzo.com dynamic DNS service.  Been with 'em for 5+ years
and it works great... oh yeah... my net-tone supplier is Comcast.

Costs involved are:
	- monthly Comcast service (you're already paying this)
	- a domain name ($10-35/year)
	- a DNS forwarding agent ($0-60/year)

Hope this helps,

-S