On 1/15/07, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> I had forgotten that this was about a python regexp.  Still, I mostly use
> perl and I am interested personally in understanding this better.  I can't
> get it to mess up.  For example:
>
> # echo 'abcd efgh' | gawk '{print $1"\n\n"$2}' | perl -pe 's/$^/X/ms'
> abcd
>
> efgh
>
> What am I doing wrong?  I can't figure out how to get "$^" to match
> anything.

You are right, I cant get it to match either.  Though, I think it
should.  (Ive never *needed* to match that before)  If you are trying
to match end-of-line followed by beginning-of-line, that should be a
perfectly valid sequence when you have a few blank lines in there, as
per your example.  So how would one go about matching that? In a more
"rational" case, you should be able to something like this:

$_ = "foo\n\n\nbar";
if(/^$^$/ms) {  print "it has 2 blank lines in a row\n"; }

But that dosnt seem to match either.  Now you have me wondering...

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/