On 1/15/07, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007,   wrote:
>
> > On 1/12/07, Dan Drake <dan at dandrake.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking for a regular expression that's guaranteed to never match
> >> anything.
> >
> > Ive used $^ before.  But it does depend on how you are using it.  the
> > end-of-string followed by a beginning-of-string can show up if $ and ^
> > match new-lines.
>

> I don't understand how that can fail.  How can $ and ^ match newlines?
> Is that something that can be affected by command line arguments?  When I
> tried it, it seemed to work very well, so I like your idea.  It does not
> match anything in a string of consecutive newlines, for example.

Im not a big python person, but in perl if you add the m modifier for
"multiple lines" it changes the definition of ^ and $ to match
newlines.  I assumed python would have something like it.  As long as
they keep their standard definitions, though, you should never find
the end of a string before the beginning.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/