> Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:09:54 -0600
> From: Randy Clarksean <rclark at lakesplus.com>

> I may be just a bit befuddled here ... but ... I am trying to upgrade my
> kernel on a Fedora Core 5 system.
>
> I tried using YUM and it did not fly all that well.  There was an error
> message while trying to install the kernel ... some error related to
> grub ... searched the web, but no luck.

Hmm. More information might be useful. I'm running FC5 on one box.

> so ... I run rpm -qa | grep kernel  and I get
>
> 	[rclark at dualasus ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
> 	kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
> 	kernel-smp-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5

I see you've got the kernel package installed. Odd.

I get this:
  [root at tick ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
  kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5
  kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5
  kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5
  kernel-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5
  [root at tick ~]# uname -r
  2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Grub has entries for those two kernels. (Hmm. I must not have rebooted
after the last kernel update.)

Here's my grub entry for that kernel:
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2257.fc5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5 ro root=LABEL=/1
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5.img

I did nothing special to any repository or yum configuration. It just works.

"yum update" updates the kernel just like everything else.

> The 2.16.15 version is what I have now.  But ... the grub.conf shows
> nothing related to 2.6.18 ... which I would like to try and install.  I
> tried going out to download the SRC and work at it from that way ... but
> none of the repositories go past the 2.6.15-1.2054.
>
> How does the 2.6.18-1 show up ... how do i install it properly ... and
> why does it not show up out on the repositories?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Randy

Try yum update. If that doesn't work, try "yum clean all" then "yum
update". Send us the output if the update fails.

Chris