On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Dave Sherman wrote:
> The T1 cards with hardware echo cancellation were a lifesaver for us,
> not sure if any other manufacturers are producing a card with that
> feature.

I know Sangoma also makes one. They also do a lot more in hardware (ie -
the price tag skyrockets).

> Can't say much about the FXO/FXS cards from Digium, besides the fact
> that they work as expected. We have used them for testing, but do not
> have any in a production server.

Avoid the FXO/FXS cards whenever possible.  :)

My advice would be to get digital trunks (BRI's or PRI's), and if you need
FXS ports (for fax machines, door phones, etc), get a channel bank to
split a T1 into multiple analog lines. If you can't get digital lines, you
can get channel banks that will let you configure (for example) 16 ports
as FXO and 8 ports as FXS - so you could plug 16 analog phone lines into
it, and 8 analog extensions.

> The biggest challenge we've had is with faxing. We ended up bringing in
> dedicated analog lines from Qwest for our faxes at one installation, but
> faxes at the other installation are running off Sipura (now Linksys)
> SIP-to-analog converter boxes, and they seem to work fine -- but they
> also use the faxes less than the folks who got analog lines.

Have you tried the fax support for Asterisk (or OpenPBX)? I've heard good
things about it; haven't ever tried it, though.

> I do seem to recall reading that having more than one card in a single
> server can lead to performance issues, because the telephony interface
> cards tend to generate so many interrupts on the system bus, and they
> need to run in real time -- if you have too many cards, it will start to
> show in performance rather quickly.

The Sangoma cards solve this - the cards don't generate a pile of
interrupts.