On Tuesday 27 February 2007 08:13, Jon Schewe wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 09:13 -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> > In the end, you basically suggest that the sole advantage of the BSD
> > license over the GPL is that the BSD license attracts developers who want
> > to use a proprietary model of software development. In other words, the
> > BSD license is best for those who would like to profit from our code
> > without giving back any code to the developer community.  What's good
> > about that?  That clearly is the core issue.  Couldn't you have left off
> > nearly everything else and just told the reader why he should want his
> > code to be used in proprietary software projects that compete with open
> > source projects?
>
> What about people that want to use your project and are willing to give
> back to the project patches to improve the project, but are unable to
> open source the software they are writing that uses your project?

Not to mention the whole BSD TCP/IP stack deal that improved interoperability
of the internet since it wasn't encumbered with a more restrictive license,
and thus both Open and Closed Source products could use it.  The BSD license
is about letting people share code with a very wide audience.

--
John Baldwin