On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 11:37 -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
>   1. Software must be a derivative:
>
>   They have to link to the project's libraries or binaries.  Note,
>   this says "link", not execute.  This indicates that they're calling
>   the library directly in their application.  Executing an application
>   and working with the published interfaces (stdio, sockets, pipes,
>   protocol-based interaction), is not a violation of GPL copyright
>   licenses.
This is where I usually run into problems.  It's not that I want to
modify an open-source project to make a proprietary application, but
rather I'd like to build upon an open-source library to avoid doing the
same thing again and finding the same bugs as someone else and for
compatibility with standards, like the BSD TCP stack.  LGPL usually
solves this, but there are quite a few projects that are only GPL still.

Jon Schewe | http://www.mtu.net/~jpschewe
Help Jen and I fight cancer by donating to the Leukemia & Lymphomia
Society
Here's our website: http://www.active.com/tntmn/tntmnJSchewe