The fact that all of you have been arguing for this long over the GPL
goes a long way toward showing that the thing it to complicated for
anyone without a law degree to safely touch.

Also, you have left an important aspect out of all of the arguing over
what is better.  What if your goal is to have standards?  When I
worked in the Mayo Clinic informatics division we wouldn't touch the
GPL - because we wanted our code to be free to everyone - profit or
non-profit.  Our goal was to standardize the way that everyone
accessed terminologies.  If we couldn't get the commercial companies
involved with our standards, then we were dead in the water.  We used
the Apache license (and later, the Eclipse Public License) -
specifically because they allowed commercial use of the code - without
requiring you to open your own code.  This allowed us to have
interactions with companies such as IBM - they provided a lot of
support to us in debugging some issues on DB2 - because they wanted to
be able to use our code.

On a similar front - if the Open Office document specifications and
implementations were GPL, Microsoft could not ever (reasonably)
provide the ability to read or write those formats - even if a
government body tells them to.  Which explains a lot of why ODF is
released under LGPL rather than GPL.  If the ODF supporters can walk
into a gov't body and tell them that Microsoft can easily support
writing to ODF from MSWord - all they have to do it force them to make
the business decision to do it - it's an easy sell.  If they have to
tell them that Microsoft can't support ODF unless they GPL all of
MSWord - do you really think they are going to get very far?

Apache and Eclipse are two very large and growing software ecosystems.
 You know why?  No GPL!  Ton's of commercial companies use their
software!  And many of those commercial companies have people that
spend time fixing bugs in that same software.  Like me, for one.

GPL is not about free.  Its about an impossible to achieve pipe dream.
 It says that you are not entitled to payment, if you choose, for your
work.  There is, and always will be a place for commercial software.
Declaring commercial software the enemy is not the solution.  Quite
simply, there are some applications that require massive amounts of
money to develop.  Forbidding people from charging for the end result
does not help create more GPL code.  It only makes the existing GPL
code that may have been useful, go completely unused.

How about tax software?  When when do you suppose that the GPL is
going to end up providing us with a way to do our taxes?  How about
never.  Do you know how much money it takes to write software to
accurately do taxes?  The only way we would ever potentially have open
source tooling like this is if the gov't funded the development - and
then - why would the gov't use a GPL license?  Commercial companies
should have ever right to build on top of the software as well - just
because they want to improve it doesn't mean that they should be
forced to give away their improvements.  The un-improved code is still
available to everyone, just like before...

Dan