On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> So you can see that the BSDL is highly attractive to us, in fact the GPL
> essentially makes code under that license unusable to us.  So I guess
> you have to ask yourself the question:  As a developer, if you want your
> code to get use, which license makes more sense?

Compare the Linux kernel (GPL) with the FreeBSD kernel (BSDL).  Which gets
more use?  Sure, the BSDL is attractive to proprietary development and
use, but the GPL is more attractive to developers who do not want to
contribute their efforts to a proprietary project.  This is why I think
the GPL has been so successful.

> Maybe Microsoft wouldn't have the market dominance they have today if
> they hadn't been able to graft the BSD TCP stack into their OS, maybe
> the world would be a better place if the BSD TCP stack was really
> GPLd....although I'm not quite sure how.  Having to write their own
> stack would've kept windows off the internet and contributed to their
> lack of viability as an OS?  I find that unlikely.

It's not a matter of stopping Microsoft cold in their tracks.  The effect
isn't all or nothing -- Microsoft thrives or perishes -- it's a matter of
degree.  If Microsoft weren't better off (and in a better position to
fight against the GNU project and FSF) because of their use of the BSD TCP
stack code, they wouldn't have used it.  They used it because it helped
them to make more money, to remain strong, and to continue to compete
against Linux, FreeBSD and every other option on the market.

> Realistically, I have nothing against FOSS, there isn't a single piece
> of non-FOSS software I use personally, but by the same token I make my
> living writing some code that has to be kept proprietary and this world
> without closed source software would cut out a very profitable part of
> my business.

Developers who are concerned with promoting your business and aiding your
profitability will then want to distribute their code under the BSDL, or
maybe they'll just send it to you directly.  Those developers who want to
contribute to the advancement of the FOSS movement should use the GPL.

Mike