OK, I admit it, I still use DOS!  But mostly for old games.  Anyways, I
personally have found that DOS emulators (DOSBox, DOSEmu) to be more
reliable than FreeDOS.  And I have also found FreeDOS works much better
inside a VMWare machine than it does as a stand-alone operating system on an
older machine.

But that's my experience with it.

- Joey