On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 07:52:49PM -0600, John T. Hoffoss wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> wrote:
> > Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> > covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
> > running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
> > is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
> > Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
> > Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.
>
> Running a program is not covered by the GPL, you are correct. But
> distribution (which by default takes place in a router, microwave or
> otherwise) *is* covered. When a microwave is distributed with a stock
> kernel with a closed-source driver, that's fine. If the author
> modifies the stock kernel though, they must distribute their
> modifications in some form. Again, addressed with backup sources by
> others already.

They don't have to distribute the source.  They have to *offer*
in writing to distribute the source when they distribute the
binaries.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

Yes, it is a minor distinction, but an important one when you are
talking about things like microwaves.  Personally, I wouldn't
bother to ask for the source in that case because I don't have
the equipment needed to update the firmware on a microwave.  For
routers or DVRs, though, looking at the source has more appeal.