Josh Paetzel said:
> How about cisco?  Well, they don't distribute their software either.

That's not at all obvious. I can see your point, but I disagree. From
where I sit, a copy of their software is in every device they ship. It's
not source, but that doesn't turn the software into something else.

> How about the software that runs (choose your embedded device here)
> your microwave.  Can you get the source code for that, even though  it's
> based on linux?  Of course not.

You had better well be able to, if it indeed is based on Linux. That's the
only license anyone can get to use Linux.

> The manufacturer of the
> microwave isn't distributing their software, they are simply selling  a
> device that runs their software.

Again, I, and a lot of other people who know a lot more about this than
both of us, disagree with you.

> I suspect that a lot of the time when companies roll on this they are
> simply trying to avoid bad publicity and getting tied up in court  even
> if they are bound to win in the end.

I suspect you haven't read the press coverage on this.

> Besides, who really cares  at the
> end of the day if you have the source code to an application  that only
> runs on custom ASICs in a cisco router?

I do. Anyone who has put significant effort into GPLed software that gets
used does. Cisco's competitors do.

> I'd guess cisco  doesn't take
> the time to publish their changes because it's expensive  to do so, not
> out of some desire to keep their proprietary changes to  themselves.

It can be quite an expense. And if they put significant development into
the software, they also have a large incentive to keep their proprietary
information private. Software patents can be vague about how a company
actually implements a technique.

My guess (since we're guessing and I also don't really know how it
happens) is that an engineer gets Linux brought in and brings up the
requirements of using it; those responsibilities are detailed to his
manager; it goes up the chain of command and someone (perhaps in the legal
department) decides either to just not do it, or it's too expensive, or
it's a potential legal liability.

Chris